Date(s) - 06/25/2019
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
Cincinnati Zoo, in partnership with Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC), has been working to become the most welcoming, accessible, and inclusive Zoo for individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. The Zoo has made great progress toward this goal and is inviting guests with special needs to come for its second annual Zoo Access for All Day on Tuesday, June 25.
Zoo staff members and volunteers have received training to promote inclusion through CCHMC’s Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disabilities (LEND)program and are ready to welcome all guests. In addition, the Zoo will offer (on or before June 25):
- adult changing tables
- sensory maps
- Zoo adventure planning map
- Zoo adventure planning choices
- a rides access pass
- Blakely’s Barnyard Bonanza Social Narrative
- Cheetah Encounter Social Narrative
- Going to the Zoo Social Narrative
- Zoo Visual Supports and Rules
- sensory bags filled with oral motor chewy tubes, fidgets, bubble makers, noise-canceling headphones, sunglasses, etc.
- A calming room and another family restroom that is sensory friendly will be ready in early 2019.
Zoo Access for All Day is a great opportunity for guests to check out what the Zoo has done to ensure that all members of the community have the opportunity to make a positive connection to wildlife and wild places. Organizations that provide services for individuals with developmental disabilities and their families, as well as cultural organizations within the city who are also focusing on this community, will be on site from 9am – 2pm to highlight what they offer.